What: February is Black History Month, and DISCOVERY Children’s Museum celebrates the achievements and contributions of Black Americans throughout history. Some of the activities include:
- The three-light traffic signal was invented by Garrett Morgan in 1923. Use Snap Circuits to design your light signaling system.
- Discover art and music from the Harlem Renaissance and make a collage inspired by Aaron Douglas’ dimensional silhouette.
- Discover forager Alexis Nikole Nelson and learn about Nevada’s striking landscapes and unique plant life.
- Conquer your fears as we read “Life Doesn’t Frighten Me,” by Maya Angelou. Create a friendly monster inspired by Jean-Michel Basquiat’s drawings.
- Air pressure made Lonnie Johnson’s invention of the Super Soaker possible. Try out different experiments with air pressure to see how it inspires your own.
DISCOVERY has activities to celebrate the Lunar New Year – Year of the Dragon. to recognize this holiday, activities include:
- Creating your own zodiac friend.
- Ring in the Lunar New Year with a dancing dragon puppet!
- Celebrate the Lunar New Year with dreams of lunar cities. Build a moon base camp.
When: Black History Feb 1- March 1
Lunar New Year – February 10-16
Tuesday – Saturday 10 am – 5 pm
Sunday – Noon – 5 pm
Where: DISCOVERY Children’s Museum
360 Promenade Place
Las Vegas, NV 89106
Media: Media photographers interested in covering events contact Jodi Gutstein email@example.com or 702.462.6137
About DISCOVERY Children’s Museum
Celebrating more than 33 years as a non-profit, DISCOVERY Children’s Museum is the top interactive Museum in Southern Nevada, welcoming all children and families to explore three complete floors filled with heart-pumping, brain-boosting, curiosity-satisfying fun, adventure, and DISCOVERY. The nonprofit educational institution relocated to Symphony Park in March 2013 and serves as Las Vegas’ only children’s Museum. The three-story Museum encompassing 26,000 square feet, is complete with nine exhibition galleries featuring daily programs, demonstrations and activities, and collaborative cultural programming for all occasions. DISCOVERY Children’s Museum offers children the opportunity to explore their curiosities while addressing the core educational areas of science and nature, art and culture, and early childhood development.