Are you passionate about changing the lives of students in Las Vegas? Become a teacher through ALTA, Clark County School District’s fast-track teacher training program! We welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds, rich life experiences and a desire to make a change in our community. Candidates accepted into ALTA participate in rigorous professional learning and hands-on experience in a CCSD classroom. Upon successful completion, candidates are eligible for full-time employment as teachers in Clark County School District!
- Our training schedule includes two sessions per week – one weeknight and one on Saturdays – for 10 weeks, so you can keep your current job until your training is complete.
- We offer training programs for elementary, secondary (English, Science, Math), and Special Education teachers – high-need positions in Clark Country School District.
- ALTA-trained teachers work where they’re needed most, in schools serving our high-need students.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Passing scores for all portions of the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) exam or CBEST assessment
- Passing scores for the corresponding Praxis Subject Assessment (Secondary candidates only)
- $555 fee for tuition, materials, and fingerprinting
- A complete application, including your resume, a seven-year work or education history, and three professional references
Training: The Academy
Candidates begin with a 10-week pre-service training experience called The Academy.
• This in-depth, hands-on training from experienced educators will prepare you to make a difference in students’ lives— and to grow throughout your career. Our targeted training focuses on the skills new teachers need to effectively support their students, including lesson planning, classroom management, and academic instruction
• In-person sessions, one weeknight and Saturday each week, provide subjectspecific content that will prepare you for your first year in the classroom
• You will have the opportunity to practice and develop your new teaching skills by participating in 20 field experience days in the classroom with a certified classroom teacher
• To become eligible to receive your provisional license, you must complete the Academy by earning passing scores on three classroom evaluations and on online assignments
Post-Service Requirements & Support
After passing the Academy and receiving your provisional teaching license, you’re eligible for hire at a CCSD school! During your first years of teaching, you will be responsible for completing:
• University Coursework. After receiving your provisional license, you will have three years to take required coursework at a local university of your choice to meet the requirements and convert to a standard teaching license. ALTA provides resources on ways to best complete this coursework within the three years.
• Required Testing. There will be required state tests that you must pass in order to obtain your standard teaching license.
• Classroom Evaluations. All program graduates must earn an “effective” rating on two classroom observations during the first three years of teaching.
All requirements must be met to maintain employment with CCSD and retain your provisional teaching license from the Nevada Department of Education. CCSD ALTA teachers have three years to convert to a standard teaching license.
Train to become a Clark County teacher with the Accelerated Licensure Teacher Academy!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 1, 2019
Visit www.teach.vegas/arl to apply